White beaches, warm wind, clear turqoise water are the first things you imagine when you hear about the Holbox island. And you get this and so much more on. Holbox is a little paradse island located in the north coast of Quintana Roo in Mexico.
Well come to the paradise!
There are few ways to reach the island so you can choose which is the best for you. Coming from any destination you want to first reach coastal village called Chiquila. This is where the ferries leave from.
Bus: I only travelled by Mayab bus from Cancun. You can show up at the ADO in station in Cancun centro and buy your ticket from the desk. I tried to book online on the ”website” but they seemed to have issues with card payments at this time. Generally you might get some of the bus tickets cheaper online when buying in advance.
Bus took just about 2h 30min to reach Chiquila and was very comfortable. You see little bit of the Mexican country side on the way.
Car: You can also consider renting a car for your holiday which gives you an opoprtunity to drive all the way up to Chiquila. There seems to be some paid car parking on the main road.
Private vans: I saw some companies that to the trips in private vans. I’m sure you can get more information on these from your hotel and there should be plenty of options coming from Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
The only way to get to Holbox island from Chiquila is by ferry. There are two companies that run the service and each one has a boat leaving every 30 mins or every hour so you don’t end up waiting long. Tickets for tourist are 150 pesos (around 7e). You can find ticket office at the end of the main street before the port or other one just next to the boats.
The staff said the crossing takes around 25 mins but I’m sure it was lots faster than this.
You can get around easily and the ferries are quite comfortable.
THINGS TO DO ON HOLBOX
Rent a bike: I went cycling for a day and this way you get the freedom to go anywhere. Atleast a little bit faster than by walking. At the hotel bike rent was 200 pesos for 12 hours.
Please put on enough sun protection! The sun here is hard and you burn before even noticing. I also advice you to pack enough water since it’s a hard sport in the heat.
Cool spots to check out are Punta Coco (amazing!), the mangroves from flamingos and Punta Mosquito at the opposite end of the island.
Chill in water hammocks: To go with the beautiful island setting there are hammocks set up in the water. (Instagram worthy pics!). They are really cute and comfy way to enjoy a little chill in the sea.
See flamingos: The island is a home to plenty of flamingos which you can check out on the coast. The are is protected national park so be kind to the nature!
Explore bioluminescne: At night you can walk around the beaches to find the water glowing with bioluminescence. Looks surreal!
WHERE TO EAT & PARTY ON HOLBOX ISLAND
I got some recommendations for the hotel and ended up finding other places just by walking around.
– Villamar: Colourfull restaurant directly on the beach. I had a really nice grilled fish and the guacamole is to die for!
– Pura Vida: This little restaurant is a sushi bar! I tried it and they do quite nice rolls. All the food I saw looked delicious and they do mojitos that you don’t want to miss.
– The Notorius Cocktail: Walk little further down the beach to find this cute bar. Super nice place to hang out, good music and there was a guy who made amazing cocktails!
– The Hot Corner: I heard this a popular spot for parties and that night there was a live band playing music. Can be found the corner of the main square on the way to the beach.
– Arena Rooftop bar: I found this place by accident and couln’t help my curiosity so I walked up the stairs. You cross through the hotel (which is super cute all the way) to end up at the rooftop. Here you find a cutest bar and pool.
– Painapol: The cutest little cafe/restaurant that had just opened few days before I went there. The best fresh juices and friend staff.
In Holbox island you are sure to spot some nice sunsets in the evening. My recommendation is to pack your own drinks and find a spot on the big jetty they have just on the main beach.
The island gets covered in amazing colours just before the dark.